Saturday 1 October 2011

Hans Holbein the Younger

Portrait of a Member of the Wedigh Family 1533

Portrait of Anne of Cleves c.1539

Portrait of the Merchant Georg Gisze 1532

I have always been a great fan of the 16th century portrait artist, Hans Holbein the younger (c.1497-1543).
I love the richness of his palette, his meticulous detail and his employment of script, dress and the placement of personal objects within his works to hint at the personality and story of the sitter. 
I also love the relaxed but intense looks of his subjects which infer there is a lot going on behind the calm outer shell.  I wouldn't mind guessing that Holbein was very good at understanding character.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Yes this is working!! I love this particular selection and agree with your thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellen. So glad you've been able to comment after sooooo long.

    ReplyDelete